Okay, forgive the title. I’ve bastardized an axiom, I’m afraid.
The other day, I had to fill out some forms for my Indonesian publisher. I looked around and found:
- mechanical pencils
- colored pencils
- highlighters in every color known to man
- fountain pens out to wazzoo, but a few of them had to be cleaned (Don’t let anyone kid you, fountain pens require constant maintenance.)
- a few ballpoints with no ink
- a few rollerballs with no ink
- disposable fountain pens (love those things) in colors like pink or red. I really wanted to look professional, so those were out.
Good grief. I’m a writer. You’d think I’d have a pen around here.
So, in disgust, I finally used a stuttering ball point, and had to keep writing over my answers. The result wasn’t what I wanted.
After the form was finished, I ordered six new ballpoint pens from Amazon. Oh, and I threw away all the dead pens, and put the funky ones in the Salvation Army box.
How about you? Do you end up with nothing to write with, too?
(I suspect it happens to everyone – I asked my son, and he didn’t have any pens that worked either.)