I originally wrote this post in 2010, but it’s still true today (unfortunately).
Alikewise is a dating service based on book tastes. From their website:
Alikewise is a dating site that allows you to find people based on their book tastes. Anything from cooking to politics to yoga — we think we can find others who would like to talk to you.
If you’re someone – like me – to whom books and reading (not to mention writing) is such a big part of life, it might work.
But here’s a trick question:
Would you really want to date a guy who only reads books about serial killers?
Maybe I should consider another niche dating site, one that lets you “practice” first. I was asked out recently, and I just blew it. The poor guy. I verbally stumbled all over myself. I wanted to TiVo time, and start over.
I want something like:
Remedial Dating Service.
We specialize in the awkward, clumsy, and socially inept dater who may “think a good game” but tends to fall all over his/her feet. (Segue here – I suspect there are more shy women than shy men.)
- The first date will be held in separate buildings. Communication will be held using index cards. Appropriate topics will be: How is your dinner? Was traffic bad?
- The second date will be held in the same building, separate rooms, with the door open so that calling out will enable the daters to hear, but not see, each other.
- The third date will be held at the same table, but with a partition separating the diners.
- (You know the old third date rule?) For the Remedial Dating Service clients, sex will be pushed back to the thirtieth date.
Hey, it could work.
- 25 Literary Pickup Lines For Dating Site Alikewise (And these really make you roll your eyes.)
I especially like this one:
We could make such a beautiful library together.
How about you? Would you try Alikewise? Or my Remedial Dating Service?